Top 100 Board Games - 2012 Edition
In 2005, I was asked to put together a list of my top 100 games for a board game conference in Malaysia. I was a fan of top ten lists at the time, but it never occurred to me to put together my top 100! However, I spent the plane ride there writing down and making the list from memory. I was fairly happy with it, and decided to post it onto the 'net to see if anyone would find it interesting.
Apparently enough people found it interesting, as it became the most popular section of this website, and remains so until this day. I decided to keep making the lists as the year went by, and four years ago, I made two changes – went to my top 200 games, and moved the list from December to August / September. However, 200 games was just too much work, and so I decided to go back to 100. Now, I'm still at 100 games, and I'm posting the lists in October.
Some thoughts on the list:
I've played 3000+ games, which is a decent amount. The top 100 of that list is the top 3% of games that I've played. So just because a game is #100 on the list, does not by any means mean that I think it's a bad game. Far from it! I think every game on this list is an excellent game. I have not gotten rid of any of these games (of the ones I own), and have no plans to do so in the near future.
Want to know how I chose the games I did? Watch my intro video!
Some changes are major on the list, but most are minor, and just because a game dropped down a few notches, doesn't mean I suddenly dislike it – it's only because new games have been inserted on the list. And even when a game dropped down a ton of notches, it doesn't mean I dislike it, I just don't enjoy it AS much. If a game drops completely off the list – well, then I may have had a bigger change of mind.
When looking at the top 100, some interesting statistics occur.
- 20 new games made my list this year. While some are from 2012 and 2011, many are games I've had a while, and have moved up in the rankings!
- 20 of the games were on my first top 100 list six years ago. I guess that means I change my mind a bit – but I'm glad that I still hold those 36 in high regard!
- I guess I like a lot of two-player games, so waddya know!
- This is the fourth year for Melody doing her top 100! I gave her complete freedom to make her list anyway that she likes – but some of the choices she made surprised me greatly – including her # 1!! We had 24 games that we both included on our lists – which is certainly up from last year, but I'm glad they're different nonetheless. "Kiddy" games are almost absent from the list, and I bet we see them gone for good in a year or two.
- This is the second year for the People's Choice. We had more than 200 extra voters this year - and it's interesting to see the changes. Zee Garcia will be joining me as we host that list. Very exciting!
Well, I'm sure I'm going to get feedback on the list, and you are certainly welcome to tell me what you think.
This is so much fun! Thanks for coming along for the ride.